We are deep into the season and the races are heating up. Another great week is in the books. Here are the three stars from the week that was.
- Dave Lawson (New York) – four goals, game-winning goal in overtime
It isn’t always about the quantity of goals, but rather the significance of the goals. Lawson had both on Saturday as he scored a team-high four goals, including the game-winner 3:51 into overtime to give his Lizards a thrilling 17-16 win. New York improved to 5-1 and remained in first place in the MLL standings. Lawson’s first three goals were scored in the first, second and third quarters, respectively and after Saturday, the Duke alum is up to 19 points (14 goals, one two-point goal, four assists) on the season.
- Connor Buczek (Florida) – seven points (four goals, one two-point goal, two assists)
Buczek gets the nod at two since he led his Florida Launch to a much-needed win, their first victory of the season. The Cornell product set the tone early with a two-point goal just 1:44 into the game to give Florida a 2-0 advantage. He went on to dish a first-quarter assist, post a goal and assist in the second quarter and a single goal in the third and fourth, respectively. His final goal gave Florida an 18-16 lead, giving his squad much-needed breathing room after Denver scored four straight goals to even the score at 16. Florida went on to win, 19-16.
- Jesse King (Rochester) – six goals, one assist
King tallied seven points for the second time in three games, leading Rochester to a runaway 18-8 win at Chesapeake on Saturday. The Rattlers held an 8-5 lead at the half with King posting just two first-half points. He wowed in the second half, scoring both Rochester third-quarter goals then adding three more in the fourth as the Rattlers turned a 10-8 lead after three quarters into an 18-8 margin at the final horn. King is now up to 16 points on the season behind 12 goals and four assists. Rochester is now 3-3 on the season.
Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order)
– Matt Bocklet (Denver) – 15 groundballs, one assist in 19-16 loss at Florida Saturday
– Scott Rodgers (Ohio) – 19 saves, eight goals allowed in 16-9 win over Charlotte Thursday
– Joey Sankey (Charlotte) – two goals, three assists, four groundballs, one caused turnover at Boston
– Brett Schmindt (Charlotte) – seven groundballs, one caused turnover in 17-14 win at Boston Saturday