For their only being three games on the schedule, a lot happened!! Coming into this past weekend’s games, the Rock clinched a playoff spot, and the Edmonton Rush needed to win both games to secure a spot, impossible right? WRONG!!! After taking apart Buffalo 14-7 on Saturday night, the Rush go north of the border and kept Rockin’ and Rollin’ by defeating the Rock 17-12 and outscoring their opponents by a count of 31-19 and giving them a 7-1 road recd a franchise best, and a berth in the 2013 NLL Playoffs. This weekend will be no different 5 games/8 teams in action (Edmonton-Bye). Three more teams have a shot at a playoff berth this weekend.
Edmonton Rush 8-5 Rush clinched a spot in the playoffs with a weekend sweep over the Bandits and the Rock. They are 7-1 on the road with three games remaining all at home (1-4). They have won 7 of the last 8 games and are the hottest team in the NLL…Could this be their year?! Next Opp: April 6 vs Col 9pm
2. Toronto Rock 8-4 Drop from the top spot this week after being beaten 17-12 by Edmonton. After 16:30 of action starter Nick Rose was pulled. Toronto fell behind quickly and never recovered. The Rock have a 3-3 record at home and 5-1 on the road. Toronto has two huge games this weekend. Fri Mar 29th vs Buffalo 7pm and Sat Mar 30th @ Roch 7:30pm
3. Calgary Roughnecks 7-5 After coming off a hard fought OT win against the Mammoth, the Roughnecks are now tied for second with the Washington Stealth, and a half game out of first. Superman Curtis Dickson did it again for Calgary. Scoring the tying goal and the game winner. A win this weekend or a Mammoth loss will clinch a playoff spot for Calgary. Next Opp: Sat Mar 30th @ Washington 10 pm
4. Washington Stealth 7-5 Are coming off a bye week after they where embarrassed 12-5 in Minnesota. A win this weekend or Mammoth loss will clinch a playoff berth for Washington. Next Opp: Saturday March 30th vs Calgary 10pm.
5 Philadelphia Wings 5-5 A much needed bye week as they prepare to play back to back games the next two weekends. Look for a full roster this week as it seems everyone has recovered from there injuries. A key loss will be goaltender Brandon Miller who will be serving his 1 game suspension for a third man in versus Washington. Recently signed goalie Angus Dinely will be in goal for the Wings, and Miller will return for the following game. Two wins this weekend will clinch a playoff berth for the Wings. Next Opp: Fri Mar 29th @ Minnesota 8:30pm, & Sat Mar 30th @ Colorado 9pm
6. Buffalo Bandits 5-7 Currently the Bandits have lost 4 of their last 5 games and have a 2-5 record at home. After a humiliating loss Saturday to Edmonton 14-7, they now must go on the road the next three weeks. Next Opp: Fri Mar 29th @ Toronto 7pm
7 Rochester Knighthawks 4-6 Coming off a bye week, the Knighthawks will return home on a night they place Pat O’Toole in the Knighthawk Hall of Fame. Next Opp: Sat Mar 30th vs Toronto 7:30pm
8. Colorado Mammoth 4-8 A tough loss for the Mammoth in OT this week to the Roughnecks, but it seems Belanger is the man for them between the pipes, and the addition of Casey Powell has given the offense a bit of a jump in their step. Next Opp Saturday March 30th vs Philadelphia 9pm
9 Minnesota Swarm 4-7 Coming off a bye week after defeating Washington 12-5. The team prepares for “crunch” time as with 5 games left in the season 5 teams are within a game of each other and Minnesota plays each of those teams. Next Opp: Fri Mar 29th vs Philadelphia 8:30pm
Now… I said it last week….You buckled in?! crash helmets on?! Every matchup this week will have major effects on the playoff picture. Some teams will either clinch or be closer to clinching a spot. And others may be even closer to being the one team left out. Next week we have 6 games with a few teams playing twice. Enjoying the ride? I am.
LW Team Record
2 (+1) Edmonton Rush 8-5
1 (-1) Toronto Rock 8-4
4 (+1) Calgary Roughnecks 7-5
3 (-1) Washington Stealth 7-5
5 Philadelphia Wings 5-5
6 Buffalo Bandits 5-7
7 Rochester Knighthawks 4-6
8 Colorado Mammoth 4-8
9 Minnesota Swarm 4-7