Billings leads Thunder to 8-6 win in game two

On Tuesday night the Langley Thunder and Coquitam Adanacs faced off in game two of their playoff series. Game one was an offensive affair as both teams had offensive outbursts but Langley would walk away with a 10-8 victory.

Langley kicked off the scoring early in this game as Brett Mydske scored to give the Thunder the early   1-0 lead. Langley would give Coquitlam an opportunity to tie the game as John Lintz took a hooking penalty and sent Coquitlam on the power play. The Adanacs made no mistake on the power play as Daryl Veltman scored to tie the game at 1-1. Langley would retake the lead just minutes later as Mark Matthews scored on the power play to give the Thunder the 2-1 lead. The period would end with Langley up 2-1.

In the second period Langley’s offense exploded. Garrett Billing kicked off a four goal outburst from Langley as Athan Ianucci would add a shorthanded goal along with Dane Dobbie adding a pair of goals to give the thunder a 6-1 lead. Coquitlam would answer with a flurry of their own as Daryl Veltman, Travis Cornwall and Brett Hickey would score to make this a two goal game. As the second period ended the Thunder went into the locker room with the 6-4 lead.

Daryl Veltman would erase the two goal gap early as he scored his third and fourth goals of the game to tie this game at 6-6. Langley would once again dig deep in the third period as Alex Turner and Mark Matthews scored to give the Thunder the 8-6 lead. Coquitlam would not be able to come back and Langley would take the game 8-6 long with a 2-0 series lead.

The key for Langley has been the additions of Garret Billings and Mark Matthews. While Matthews and Billings did not play much during the regular season they are making their marks in the playoffs as Billings has eight points in two games in the playoffs while Matthews has recorded six points in two games. These two have added another dimension to the Thunder offense one that Coquitlam has not been able to defend against.