Hopkins heads to Big Ten tournament with win over Wolverines

Forry Smith of the Hopkins Blue Jays in action against Loyola on February 18, 2017. (Photo credit: Kate McEvilly Photography)
Forry Smith of the Hopkins Blue Jays in action against Loyola on February 18, 2017. (Photo credit: Kate McEvilly Photography)

Baltimore, Maryland – Johns Hopkins University welcomed back alumni to campus with a 19-9 win against Big Ten foe Michigan while also securing themselves a berth in the Big Ten tournament. The Blue Jays used a decisive second quarter run to seal the victory.  

Hopkins came out of the gate quickly, scoring the first three goals of the contest. Kieran Eissler started the scoring for the Jays when he was found by sophomore attackman Kyle Marr. Marr would end the first half with six points (two goals, four assists). Thirty-seven seconds later Cody Radziewicz would score to increase the lead to two.

After Marr found Joel Tinney, Michigan would score the next two to cut into the lead. Michigan’s goals came on back-to-back extra-man opportunities. PJ Bogle and Brent Noseworthy would score, assisted by Avery Myers and Rocco Sutherland respectively.

As the second quarter progressed, Hopkins would score six of the next seven goals, including three for three on their own extra-man opportunities. The Blue Jays would turn a 3-2 lead into a 9-3 advantage heading into halftime.

Hopkins opened the second quarter scoring on their first extra man opportunity. Kyle Marr would score his first of the contest, assisted by senior Wilkins Dismuke. The senior defensive midfielder would next find Shack Stanwick in transition to increase their lead.  

On the next two extra-man opportunities for Hopkins, Marr would find Patrick Frazer and John Crawley respectively. Michigan would finally break the streak when Ian King scored on the extra-man. All the goals for Michigan would come with an extra attacker.  

The Jays closed the half with the next two tallies. First, freshman Cole Williams would score an unassisted goal, running through the Michigan defense. The last of the half came as Joe Carlini found Marr with :03 left on the clock, as he pushed transition as the half was about to expire.

Hopkins would immediately get back to work as the second half opened. Marr completed his hat trick with an unassisted tally and after a Michigan penalty, Marr found Radziewicz in the middle for his second.

Michigan defender Nick DeCaprio would score in transition, assisted by midfielder Parker McKee. Hopkins would answer with another two goals in 18 seconds to push the lead to 10 goals. Dismuke scored, finding a rebound from Michigan goalie Tommy Heidt alone in front of the goal. In transition following the next face off, Tinney found freshman Forry Smith alone in front.

Michigan would answer with its first settled six-on-six goal of the contest with under six minutes to play in the quarter. Decker Curran took a feed from Ian King, beating Hopkins goalie Brock Turnbaugh. This marked a 14-5 lead for Johns Hopkins.

King would beat Turnbaugh for his second of the contest, being the first multi-goal scorer for Michigan. Hopkins would answer on the following face off. Hunter Moreland, who had been dominant on face-offs all contest, found long-pole midfielder Robert Kuhn to end the short Wolverine run.

Curran would again cut the lead to eight goals when he caught the Hopkins defense confused in their assignments. Just as the quarter would close, Smith would find the back of the net for his second of the game. Hopkins would lead 16-7 with :12 left in the third quarter.  

Just as they had each of the previous three quarters, Hopkins would score first. Eissler scored off an assist from Smith as Michigan’s defense was trying to match defensive assignments. The Jays again increased their lead to 10 goals at 17-7.

Wilkins Dismuke would score after a :30 penalty was given to Michigan, being found by Kyle Marr alone in front of the goalie. Hopkins would go five for five on the extra-man opportunities and the Wolverines switched goalies to Robbie Zonino with ten minutes left in the contest.

Bogle would answer for Michigan when he was found open when the Hopkins defense started rotating. This would be Bogle’s second of the contest. Again Hopkins answered as Cole Williams found sophomore Jake Fox, who had just entered the contest and scored his first goal of his young career.

With 7:32 left in the contest, the homecoming crowd was treated to the depth of Hopkins roster. Gerald Logan, who was Michigan’s starter for three years before transferring as a graduate transfer to Hopkins, was able to enter the contest and made a save on the first shot that he saw in the game.

Michigan would get their ninth goal, fourth on extra man, when PJ Bogle completed his hat trick at 4:35 of the fourth.

Michigan was led by Tommy Heidt’s 10 saves, while the offense was paced by three-point efforts from Bogle, King and Myers.

Hopkins was led by Kyle Marr’s nine points on three goals and six assists. The extra-man offense finished going five for six. Hunter Moreland and the face-off unit for the Jays controlled the X and continually put pressure on the Wolverine defense, going 21 for 31 in the game.  

Next up for Johns Hopkins is long-time rival Maryland in College Park before entering the Big Ten Tournament.