Salisbury Takes Victory Over Gettysburg

The reigning national champion Salisbury Seagulls started the season slow losing two of their first three games, but on Saturday the  No. 10 (4-2) Seagulls got back on track with a momentous win over No. 14 Gettysburg (2-1).

The Seagulls senior All-American Ryan Clarke did not play in Saturday’s game, but regardless the Seagulls were led by an intimidating defense and a balanced attack including two goals from sophomore Wade Korvin.

Senior attackman Evan Hammersly opened the game by scoring just over a minute into the contest putting immediate pressure onto the Gettysburg Bullets. Two minutes later at the 10:45 mark in the first period, sophomore midfielder Adam Storck blistered a shot into the back of the net to put the Seagulls up 2-0 early in the game.

The next six minutes of the game were quieter, but it was time for the Bullets to get on the board. At the 4:32 mark Bullets sophomore Bijan Firouzan scored an unassisted goal to finally give Gettysburg some momentum. Less than three minutes later Bullets senior and captain attackman Evan Thomas struck a goal to tie up the game at the end of the first quarter.

The start of the second quarter was when the Seagulls took this game over. Wade Korvin netted his two goals at the 14:02 and 12:51 marks to take the lead for the Seagulls 4-2. To make things worse the Seagulls added another two goals by sophomore midfielder James Burton and junior midfielder Greg Korvin to go up 6-2 over the Bullets. At the 6:27 mark of the second quarter Gettysburg sophomore attackman Robby Maddux stopped the bleeding and put one in the back of the net for the Bullets to push the lead back to three. For the remainder of the half the Seagulls and Bullets alternated goals scored by Salisbury’s freshman midfielder David Anderson and followed by Bullets senior captain midfielder Bobby DeWees.

The Bullets were shutout in the third quarter by the stout Salisbury defense led by junior Zeke Smith and sophomore Knute Kraus. The lonely goal, scored by senior midfielder Eric Kluge, was netted at the 4:10 mark of the quarter.

The Seagulls were up 8-4 entering the fourth quarter and it was time for some closure. The Seagulls held the Bullets to only one goal in the final period and finished off the game with a final score of 8-5. Junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor stuffed 7 shots while paying 60 minutes and carrying the Seagulls to their fourth win of the young season.

Comments are closed.