Doyle-Smith Cup Goes To Virginia Over Hopkins

SYRACUSE, NY - MARCH 12: Zed Williams #36 of the Virginia Cavaliers reacts following his goal with teammate Mike D'Amario #10 against the Cornell Big Red during the first quarter at Schoellkopf Field on March 12, 2016 in Ithaca, New York. Cornell won 14-10. (Photo by Rich Barnes/Getty Images)
SYRACUSE, NY – MARCH 12: Zed Williams #36 of the Virginia Cavaliers reacts following his goal with teammate Mike D’Amario #10 against the Cornell Big Red during the first quarter at Schoellkopf Field on March 12, 2016 in Ithaca, New York. Cornell won 14-10. (Photo by Rich Barnes/Getty Images)

An intense battle between two of the dominant programs in college lacrosse ended with six ties, overtime, and an epic finale as Virginia bests Johns Hopkins at home. Both teams are no strangers to overtime finishes, as each team finished their prior game in overtime.

After Virginia winning the opening possession, Hopkins would be the first to open the scoring. Attackman Wilkins Dismuke would tally first after linemate Shack Stanwick found him open during a long, first possession.

All-American Ryan Brown would score, assisted by Dismuke, to get the second goal for Hopkins. Dismuke would tally his second goal after sophomore Brock Turnbaugh made a save on the defensive end. The possession found the ball in hands of Drew Supinski, who then found Dismuke open in front of the goal alone.

Hopkins would take a 4-0 lead after a Virginia turnover. Senior Holden Cattoni would find himself alone behind the goal. He beat Cavalier goalie Matt Barrett after charging to the goal before the defense could get to him.

James Pannell would break the Hopkins’ run with the Wahoos opening goal. Greg Coholan found Pannell above goal-line extended then depositing the ball behind Turnbaugh. The first quarter would end with Virginia having won a majority of the faceoffs, but leading in turnovers, which led to Hopkins three-goal lead.

Ryan Lukacovic would get the first of the second quarter on the first possession of the quarter. The Blue Jays continually had to play extended amounts of defense with the disparity in face off totals. Coholan would get his first of the contest after Hopkins turned the ball over after Turnbaugh made the save.

The Cavaliers would complete the comeback when Coholan scores his second. The play started at the other end of the field with Barrett making a save on a Hopkins’ extra-man opportunity. Coholan was found open after another Turnbaugh save went behind the goal, right to Lukacovic.

Virginia took its first lead of the game after a timeout. Zed Williams picked up a loose ball and shot low through the defense. Jason Murphy ran through the defense on the following faceoff, taking ball to the front of the goal. Virginia and their faceoff winning slanted the field to where Hopkins had only two possessions for the first ten minutes of the second half.

John Crawley broke the six-goal run to bring Hopkins within one. Crawley dodged down the right side and beating Barrett low. Turnbaugh would make a save to close the quarter. Virginia led at half 6-5.

James Pannell got Virginia on the board first, increasing the advantage to two goals. A scrum for the ball behind the goal led the ball to the Pannell’s stick and he was alone in front of the goal. Hopkins would answer with Shack Stanwick coming off of a pick to lessen the Cavalier lead to one, 7-6.

Mike D’Amario answered back for the home team. His goal came with 6:58 left in the third quarter. After the goal, Pannell was given a non-releasable penalty that Hopkins was unable to capitalize on. Barrett made a save after the penalty released to keep the advantage to two goals.

Stanwick would get his second goal after the goalie was caught playing outside the cage. On the faceoff, Craig Madarasz won the faceoff clean and scored, tying the game in the matter of eight seconds. He was able to get to the middle of the defense and able to score.

On the following faceoff, defender Patrick Foley was found open, beating Virginia and retaking the lead for Hopkins, 9-8. Foley was assisted by fellow defenseman Robert Kuhn, scoring the first goal of his Hopkins career. The quarter would end with Hopkins scoring the final three goals in a span of 32 seconds.

Matt Emery would tie the game again at 9. He drove down the right side, beating Turnbaugh high. After a terrific save on a Zed William’s delivery, Hopkins would come down to break the tie yet again. Supinski drove side-to-side, getting his hands free, and was able to get the Blue Jays to 10 goals in the contest.

The possession following a Hopkins turnover, Pannell would tie the game for the fourth time in the contest. With little angle, he was able to beat the Hopkins defense. Hopkins would again break the tie when Cattoni finished on a delayed penalty situation. The goal was his second of the game.

Zed Williams picks up a near Virginia turnover and slides under the Hopkins defense to tie the game at 11 with four minutes remaining. Both teams would not let the Doyle-Smith Cup slip away and would answer each other’s attempts to take over the quarter.

Cody Radziewicz would break the tie with 2:41 remaining. He was alone at the end of a quick moving possession, turning the corner to get the 12-11 advantage. After two Virginia timeouts, Greg Coholan answered for Virginia. Coholan scored the overtime winner last year and tied the game with 20.1 left in regulation.

After a violation on the opening possession of overtime, Virginia’s Mike D’Amario ended the game on its first possession. The game ends in overtime, as it did in 2014. 2015, and again this year.

Matt Barrett ended the game with seven saves and his counterpart, Brock Turnbaugh, ended with nine. Two Virginia players ended with a hat trick, Pannell and Coholan, and Hopkins had three with two goals; Cattoni, Stanwick, and Dismuke.

Next for Johns Hopkins is crosstown opponent UMBC, which was rescheduled after an early season blizzard. Virginia awaits VMI on Tuesday.