Hopkins Defeats the Mount 17-2

Emmitsburg, Maryland–Johns Hopkins had a quick turnaround after their win against Maryland and took on Mount St. Mary’s.  The match up was rescheduled from early March due to inclement weather.  The team played a methodical pace and capitalized on their opportunities en route to a first half lead of 8-0.

Hopkins opened the scoring with senior Rob Guida scoring his first at the 8:34 mark of the first quarter.  Sophomore Holden Cattoni scored to increase the lead to 2-0 in favor of the Blue Jays.  This would be the end of the scoring for the first as both teams worked for their opportunities.  Mount St. Mary’s employed a zone defense that kept Hopkins working to find their chances.

The second quarter would open up the scoring as Hopkins found their opportunities more frequent.  Junior Drew Kennedy won seven of nine faceoffs during the first half to give the Jays repeated chances on offense.  Attackman Wells Stanwick would end the half with four assists, as he found Brandon Benn and senior midfielder Kevin Interlicchio for his first of the season.  Stanwick found Benn again to make it three in a row.  John Cawley scored unassisted and then assisted on the next Hopkins goal to increase the lead to seven.  Off the next faceoff, Kennedy won the draw and in the ensuing transition Stanwick found freshman long pole midfielder Nick Fields for a goal.

Hopkins continued the scoring in the second half, starting when John Cawley found Cody Radziewicz alone in front.  Wells Stanwick then found junior Brady Faby for his first goal of the season.  Kevin Interlicchio got his second of the game when Stanwick found him in a gap in the defense after a failed clear by the Mount.  Guida found Cattoni during an extra man situation to increase the lead to 12.  The Mount got on the board just before the third quarter ended as attackman Bubba Johnson scored, with the assist credited to Kyle McDonough.

Clayton Wainer scored the Mount’s second goal with 10 minutes left in the contest.  Hopkins held a 10-goal advantage at 12-2.  Hopkins added to the lead when freshman Jack Grass got his first of the season.  Midfielder Wilkins Dismuke found Grass for his second of the game with seven minutes left.  During the ensuing extra man situation, Grass got his first assist as a Blue Jay when he found sophomore Liam Giblin for a score.  During the next faceoff, Grass scored to complete the hat trick and Hopkins had a decisive 14-goal lead with five minutes remaining.  Senior midfielder Greg Edmonds scored to close the scoring at 17-2 for the Blue Jays.

For Hopkins, four goalies took part in the game with senior Eric Schneider earning the victory.  Chris Klaiber had a great game making 18 saves.  The faceoff contingent of Hopkins lost only five faceoffs of the 23 they took.  That advantage placed a lot of pressure on the Mount’s defense to make stops.

Next up for Johns Hopkins is a short trip to Annapolis where they will take on the Naval Academy before returning home next week to face Villanova on Senior Night.  For the Mount, they will stay at home to take on Wagner College.