MLL: Host Bayhawks remain perfect, beat Boston 15-13

Kyle Jackson goes for the diving goal on Brian Phipps. Chesapeake Bayhawks vs. Boston Cannons. (Photo credit: MLL/Pretty Instant)

After almost a two-hour weather delay last night the Chesapeake Bayhawks (3-0) fought off the Boston Cannons 15-13 to remain undefeated and saddle the Cannons (1-1) with their first loss.

The Cannons started the game off with a beautiful behind-the-back highlight goal from Challen Rogers. Bryce Wasserman would soon follow that up and the Cannons would be up 2-0 early in the game. That would be the last lead Boston would have and it was short lived.

Brendan Bomberry scored just 52 seconds later, Andrew Kew found the back of the net to tie the game, and the Bayhawks would score three more times in 1:40 to take a 5-2 lead after the first quarter.

The Bayhawks would roll off another four consecutive goals for a nine-goal run to take a commanding 9-2 lead for the moment. Their defense held the Cannons scoreless for 23:08.

Mark Cockerton would end the drought and start a five-goal run for the Cannons with the final two coming with 11 seconds left in the half to make it closer at only 9-7.

“Coming in, it’s kind of tough,” Kew said. “Three in a row, back-to-back-to-back. We just wanted to come out, play intense, play hard, and we walked out up two points.”

As the second half started so did the Bayhawks’ offense again as Lyle Thompson would find rope twice to increase the lead back to four. Boston would answer back, but would be unable to get anything going as the Bayhawks would counter with a goal of their own.Chesapeake would score the final two goals of the quarter off the sticks of Kew and Thompson and take a 14-9 lead into the final quarter.

Chesapeake played clock management in the fourth, using up as much of the shot clock as possible giving Boston as little time as possible to mount any type of comeback.

“[Thompson] does some magical things out there but I think our D did a good job on him and gave us a chance to win,” said Rogers. “We’ve only been together four times as a group. Each game we’re getting better and hopefully we’ll peak at the right time.”

Challen Rogers scored a 2-point goal and Bryan Cole would add a late goal but it was too late as the Bayhawks won 15-13.

“That’s a really good team, and the team we might see in the championship,” Lyle Thompson said. “So we have to stay prepared and stay ready.”

Both teams went 1-5 on the man-up advantage. Boston had 53 shots, 26 on goal, while Chesapeake had 41 shots and 28 on goal.

Bryce Wasserman led the Cannons with a hat trick while Cole, Cockerton and Rogers all scored twice.

Chesapeake was led by Thompson’s four goals and Andrew Kew’s hat trick. Thompson and Kew also added an assist each.

Boston will have to regroup quickly as the face the Philadelphia Barrage (1-2) at 4 p.m. Tuesday. Chesapeake has the day off as they prepare to face the Denver Outlaws 7 p.m. Wednesday.